Saturday, March 14, 2020

THE NEW NEW STRATEGY ON THE OLD OLD DOPE GAME


And young man, Izzy the candy-store owner asked,
what can I do for you today?

I'd like, (my eyes were salivating,
watering the treats below them), I'd like,
let's see, hmmm, a few packs of M&M's,
nuts please, 10 Bazooka Joe's,...
& 2 bags of Dr. Death...

Harry, please, I can't,
your father would kill...

Don't be an idiot, Iz.
I got 500 here. Cash.

That's on top of the candy?

Of course--you old gonif.

It's 20 for the M&M's,
20 for the Bazooka Joe's,
& 50 cents for the good Doctor...

What's with the 50 cents?

Labor--somebody's got to put it in the bag, no?
And Harry, it's strong--don't forget
take the gum out of your mouth before...

Yeah, yeah, OK.

Izzy went to the back & returned with the doctor;
a picture of Marcus Welby on the bag.

Thanks, Iz.

Don't forget to say hello to your folks.

Iz, please...

Norman Savage
Greenwich Village, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment