Tuesday, November 5, 2019

THE ALAMO



is now on 11th Street
& University Place,
in Greenwich Village.
I'm hunkered down
fending off
the onslaught.
Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
can go and fuck himself
before I surrendeer.
I've got a sure as shit
straight-shooting musket
and my friend, Jim,
a Bowie knife. And balls,
I got them.
And so does enough coon-skin hats
to shoot the gold
from the capped-teeth of every Mexican
with bad breath and worse hygiene.
I played worse odds;
I grew-up in Brooklyn,
Coney Isand; the arcade
had the faces of mom & dad
plastered like wanted signs
down an illegitimate birth canal.
I could use a shot
of red-eye and a priest
to make fun of.
Because nobody will be left
to tell the tale
and history might think
we were fearless
instead of the foul-breathed
interlopers we are.
Uncle Walt
fucked us all.

Norman Savage
Greenwich Village, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment