Sunday, December 25, 2011

BLUE CHRISTMAS

One of the problems
with being
me
this time
of year
is:
I've perfected
all this bullshit
without
many people
to tell it to.

Of course,
that's one
of the benefits,
too.

Listening
to Etta James
singing,
Someone To Watch
Over Me,
tears you
up
as you think
of her
lying
tethered
to some wires and tubes
snaking
this way and that
blind and demented
weaving herself
into the darkness
you'd like
someone
to know
what the fuck
you're talking about.

But fuck it--
I'll go to Chinatown
and dine among
big families
seated uncomfortably
between crying babies
and mothers
and grandparents
and aunts
and uncles
without pretending
I'm slant eyed
and single.
I don't believe
in illusions
for me
or
you.

I've always been
a fool.

Norman Savage
Greenwich Village, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment