Tuesday, December 3, 2019

OUT OF IT


You need a day
like I had today:
fucked-up
and feelin fine;
free from my history
and those dark voices
that whisper & tongue
your inner ear.

Not a wink of sleep
and a few extra pills
for all the pain
real & imagined,
ingrained in a cycle
of anticipation,
did the job
of snatching from the jaws
of gods and demons
billows & breath
as a fog disappeared
into the earth.

There is that space
that waits for you.
Listen for it.
Trust it.
It is the only place
they can't take from you--
and they never could.

Norman Savage
Greenwich Village, 2019

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Ruun, I'm an educator who runs a gifted program for students from modest backgrounds. I'm preparing a workshop for them on contemporary poets, and I'd like to feature some of your work.

    I've been reading and studying your writing for a while now, I like your voice-it's gritty without being fatalistic. Can you share some of the writers who influenced you style-wise so that my students can read your work alongside the writers important to your writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Runn,

    I thank you for asking, and I wouldn't mind doing that.

    I think it best though, we continue that thread through this email address: savagescribbler@icloud.com.

    Best,
    Savage

    ReplyDelete