Thursday, March 26, 2009

Black/White/Stop/Start/Merge

EARLY MORNIN’ HOURS
for Jesse Gilbert

Ain’t no question
who got more rhythm;
even in the early mornin
when my eyes strain
against the fresh day
it seems
they got up dancin
poppin
their fingers
as they pee
and hum
as a toothbrush
crosses their teeth.
I see them later
in the Sugar Bowl
as I struggle
over a second
cupacoffee
envying
their Pepsi
breakfast.

It doesn’t stop,
it never stops
I believe
it is born with
and grows into
a different set of colors;
a saxophone solo.
Kerouac felt it, tried
to live it,
and hungered
to be it.
I read Jack early
and remember my thumb
s t u c k o u t;
automatically
it cost me something:
living on a white line...

and looking for a father.



Norman Savage
Coney Island
October, 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment